STATE OF IOWA
PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS BOARD (PERB)
Friday, September 7, 2018 10:30 a.m.
Jessie Parker Building
PERB Law Library
Present at meeting: Van Fossen, Gannon, Bolte, DeSmet, Machir, Sarajlija, Thomas, Luttrell, Van Horne
Public present at meeting: Terry Gladfelter, Nathan Arnold, and Jay Smith
I. Gannon moved to approve the agenda, unanimously approved.
II. Gannon moved to approve the August 1, 2018 minutes, unanimously approved.
III. Public Comment: Gladfelter, Arnold and Smith had questions regarding recertification elections.
IV. Office status
* DeSmet gave election update. There are 569 groups that received notices on August 27. 80 groups did not send in an employee list.
* DeSmet discussed employer notification (email) failures. Those 10 groups have been granted an extension for sending in lists and paying fees.
* Machir discussed election challenge forms. The deadline for voter eligibility challenges is October 8, 2018.
* Bolte reviewed and suggested the board approve the neutral re-applications for Barrick, Cox, Gallagher, Goedken, Hoh, McGilligan, Sandy, Trampe, Wiant and C. White. Gannon moved to approve applications, unanimously approved. Bolte reported that Herman Torosian did not respond to her emails and will be removed from the lists. The Board thanks Torosian for his years of service.
* CPR training was discussed. Post 16 will be in contact with Gannon to discuss training dates.
* Van Fossen moved to approve ALJ CLE registration fee of $65 per employee for a total of $260.00. Sarajlija, Thomas, Gannon, and Bolte will attend ALJ CLE. Van Fossen approved, Gannon abstained from voting.
* Van Fossen moved to approve an intern or contract person to assist with website. This position will pay $7.25 an hour and begin immediately. Van Fossen approved, Gannon abstained from voting.
V. Consider new and pending Cases (Board may go into closed session pursuant to Iowa Code Sec. 21.5(1)(d),(f) if applicable)
VI. New Business ( Board may go into closed session pursuant to Iowa Code section 21.5(1)(a),(i) if applicable)
VII. Next meeting date is to be determined at a later date and will be held in the Jessie Parker Building, PERB Law Library, Des Moines, Iowa.
VIII. Adjourned at 11:30 a.m.
Jamie Van Fossen, Board Member